Officers & Directors
Interact & EarlyAct
How We Help
Avenues of Service
Useful Web Sites
Chipping for Charity
|Prospective Member Information|
If a member of the Dominion Rotary Club has referred you to this page, please skip to the next paragraph. If you have not been referred, but want to learn more, please read this page. If you are possibly interested in applying for membership, please fill out the "Prospective Member Contact Form." Put "Not referred" in the "Comments" section and indicate how you found out about us.
We congratulate you on being selected by your friend as a potential member of the Rotary Club of San Antonio at the Dominion.
Rotary is an organization of business people and professional persons united worldwide who provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations and help build goodwill and peace in the world. We have a tradition of accepting any job our officers ask of us and doing it to the best of our ability.
The Object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
- FIRST. The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
- SECOND. High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of worthiness of all useful occupations, and the dignifying by each Rotarian’s occupation as an opportunity to serve society;
- THIRD. The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian’s personal, business, and community life;
- FOURTH. The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of busy and professional persons united in the ideal of service.
Our four-way test of the things we think, say or do:
- 1. Is it the TRUTH?
- 2. Is it FAIR to all concerned?
- 3. Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
- 4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
We are an international club with around 1,200,000 members, in over 31,600 clubs in 166 countries, with 529 districts, and 9,661 Interact Clubs (high school age) with 222,203 Interact members in 117 countries. We also have 7,663 Rotaract Clubs (college age clubs), with 176,249 students in over 158 countries.
The San Antonio Rotary Club at the Dominion was chartered in January 2003 as the 15th club in San Antonio. We are in District 5840 which covers an area of 52,466 square miles encompassing 44 counties with 52 clubs in all. Our international web sit is http://www.rotary.org and our district site is http://www.rotarv5840.org . Our club’s website is http://www.dominionrotary.org . The San Antonio Downtown club has the largest membership in the world.
Our fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30, when new officers take office. All members call each other by their first name, Membership is based on vocation, with rules that limit the number of members with particular vocations to 10% of the club membership for each classification. New members can only be proposed by current members and each potential member has to go through steps for approval.
Our club has a strong emphasis on youth. Some of our youth oriented programs include the Earl Warren High School and future Texas Military Institute Interact Clubs, Early Act Clubs, Geneva Elementary School, Boerne, The Short Term Youth Exchange, The Long Term Youth Exchange), Academic Olympics, Scholarship programs. Rotary Youth Leadership Awards program.
Our other commitments are Amigo program at the Defense Language Institute, Wheelchair Foundation, Adopt - a - Highway, Shadow Program, Hunger Plus to Women’s Shelter, Teacher of the Year, Literary Volunteer, Fireman, Policeman, Paramedic, Humanitarian and Nurse of the Year, and many more. We also help sponsor a yearly GSE (Group Study Exchange) team of young professionals from other countries and send a similar team of American professionals in return.
Our Rotary International Polio Plus program will eradicate Polio around the world this year and we help in disasters and in other times of need with special programs all over the world. You will find our club members involved individually and as a club in all sorts of activities around the community.
Some of the benefits of becoming a Rotarian include:
- 1. Become connected to your community.
- 2. Work with others in serving community needs.
- 3. Interact with other professionals in your community.
- 4. Assist with Rotary International’s international humanitarian service efforts.
- 5. Establish contacts with an international network of professionals.
- 6. Develop leadership skills.
- 7. Involve family in promoting service efforts.
- 8. Most importantly, you will benefit by “Enriching the lives of others.”
Some of the responsibilities of Rotary membership include:
- 1. Members are expected to attend a minimum of 60% of the weekly programs of the club. Opportunities to makeup attendance include attending the regular meeting of another Rotary club, Interact club, a club board meeting, an e-club meeting on the internet, attending various other Rotary meetings and functions, or attending a club service project authorized by the club board of directors or committee meeting or function.
- 2. Members are required to pay annual dues to their club, their district, and to Rotary International.
- 3. Members are expected to participate in local or international activities or projects of the Rotary club through donations of time and money.
- 4. Clubs encourage members to aspire to leadership or committee roles within their clubs.
Our monthly dues and expected other cost are:
- 1. Monthly dues payable to the club which include district and international dues (200.00 per annum) $16.65
- 2. Foundation donation (Encouraged: equals $100.00 per annum)) 8.33
- 3. Fund raising projects average per month (Encouraged) 10.00
- 4. Meals currently at $16.50 per meeting (can choose soup and salad $12.00).
There is an initial joining fee of $75.00 charged on your first monthly bill.
If you join you will occasionally be sent some Rotary information
The Rotary Club of San Antonio at the Dominion.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD A NEW MEMBER APPLICATION